The Forest of Bowland Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB) is home to a number of farms which offer educational access to schools and groups, thus enabling people to learn about the outdoors in a farm setting within the fantastic landscape of the AONB.
The Forest of Bowland offers a wonderful resource for learning: there are opportunities to study science, geography and history by investigating wildlife, habitats, food production and heritage; or students can gain inspiration from the landscape to study maths, English, art and other subjects. Carrying out studies on farms means that teachers and pupils can be assured of a safe, welcoming and informative environment. The farms offer farmer-led talks and walks, and provide indoor classrooms or shelters, toilets and hand-washing facilities; they also offer a variety of activities, from watching the milking, to carrying out art and craft projects. Visits can incorporate curriculum based projects and lessons, or simply give groups the chance to be outdoors and find out more about what goes on at a farm.
In order to help groups take advantage of this resource, we have launched a Farm Visit Transport Fund, which will be run by Champion Bowland on behalf of the AONB. The Fund is open to groups on the following basis:
- Groups must be visiting one of the profiled farms in the Forest of Bowland AONB
- The Fund will offer a bursary of 50% of transport costs, up to a maximum of £100
- The Fund will be distributed on a "first come, first served" basis
- Groups must complete a short, post-visit feedback form, provide up to 2 digital photographs and provide a copy of the paid coach/minibus invoice in order to claim the bursary
- Champion Bowland will pay the bursary direct to the group's nominated bank account
- There will be a maximum of two claims per group in any 12 month period unless funds allow more
- All planning, permissions, risk assessments and health & safety related to the farm visit, along with hiring of transport, will be the responsibility of the group
If you would like to apply for a Farm Visit Transport Fund bursary for your group, please complete the on-line registration form. Alternatively, contact the AONB office on 01200 448000 and we will post a form out to you.